Job Posting: Lab Manager
Raincoast Applied Conservation Science Lab
Department of Geography – University of Victoria
The Lab Manager will join a productive, collegial team of applied conservation scholars to coordinate research and lab logistics. The position is varied and dynamic, requiring academic, administrative, & technical tasks.
- Preparing samples for isotope analysis, ensuring lab is stocked with necessary supplies and equipment, storing and organizing samples, ensuring equipment is maintained appropriately
- Leading annual field preparations, requiring coordinating of five related field projects
- Recruiting, training, and coordinating with lab volunteers
- Drafting grant proposals and securing funding for contract-based field technicians and interns
- Updating training manuals and lab protocols as needed
- Acquiring permits as needed (e.g., Park Use Research Permits)
- Maintaining and updating the lab website, several times weekly
- Maintaining lab and field equipment. Acquire necessary certifications
- Assisting graduate students with their work
- Transporting students and technicians as needed
- Corresponding with lab partners and associates (e.g. Raincoast Conservation Fdn, First Nations)
- Conducting preliminary research (e. literature reviews) and writing reports
- Assisting with administration – e. expense reports, occasional marking, etc.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Thoughtful and respectful personality, with excellent communication skills
- Honours values of Indigenous-partnered and community-engaged conservation science
- Science training (BSc. or similar), including laboratory, analytical, and administrative skills
- Keen attention to detail, data quality, and safety
- Experience with web site design and maintenance
- Potential interest in research experience as a graduate student
- Ability to anticipate and attend to work under minimal supervision and in a fast-paced environment
The successful candidate will acquire valuable professional and life skills and join a tight-knit group of friends and colleagues who treat one another with respect, collegiality, and affection. There are also potential opportunities for fieldwork. Anticipated Start Date: early autumn 2018. Three-month preliminary contract, extendable to one year and beyond. Pay is $3,000/month (includes Mandatory Employment Related Costs).
Please send Cover Letter and CV in one PDF with a file name that begins with your last name to email@example.com by August 31, 2018. Those selected for interviews will be contacted by 15 September.
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university